Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Survivor

The kiddos and I survived their first tornado last night! WHEW! It really wasn't that bad where we live, though in our state any tornado is scary. I lived through the infamous May 3rd tornado and every since then, its really changed the way we Oklahomans view tornadoes. I'd like the thing that on the whole, we take the warnings far more seriously.
I had just turned on the news while the kids were playing in the bath when my mother-in-law called. I told her we would come over after dinner. But after their bath, it was looking ugly out, so we packed up and made the long trip ... 2 streets over! We were there about 2 minutes when the sirens were going off. We managed to get my car and their cars all in the garage. And went straight to the closet. And then the power went off.
Kid was scared. Really scared. I told him I wouldn't leave him. Snugglebug thought it was fun and said in her wannabeteenagertalk "I'm not even scared". Oiy! That girl.
We were in the closet for about a minute and it was over. And I must say, its kind of a rush coming out to survey the damage. All the neighbors are out and about, sharing their stories. Thankfully we got by with no damage at all and the neighbors had minimal damage. It could have been worse, and it was a lot worse for others in our state.
So, we survived. We still have no electricity at my house, although the in-laws' power came back on last night. What a night.

2 comments:

  1. I just stumbled across your blog for the first time, but geez, what a dramatic first post to get pulled in by. I am so glad that you and your family came through safely. Our thoughts are with all of the people in your area. The images are heartbreaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you. We were EXTREMELY lucky. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete